Our #1 priority is environmental responsibility. Though no fabric is completely impact-free, we do our research and only choose fabrics that are vegan, on the leading edge of innovative sustainability (meaning avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance), and dyed with low-impact dyes to conserve water. This often means our fabrics take a long time to find and are more expensive. But it's a priority we're sticking to.
As 80% of the environmental strain of fabric occurs at home after the garment has been purchased, we recommend washing as little as possible, washing on cold, and hanging to dry whenever possible.
CUPRO: Our Cupro is sourced from the Asahi-Kasei mill in Japan. The mill strives to be zero waste and recycles nearly all of its waste water. Cupro is made from the part of the cotton plant that is normally discarded and is considered an eco-friendly fiber. Our Cupro is also dyed with low-impact dyes which use less water than traditional methods of dyeing.
- USED IN: the Half Moon dress, Ceres Kimono, + Eclipse dress.
- CARE: Cupro can be washed cold in the washing machine, and tumble dried in the dryer on low, though for the longest life we recommend hanging to dry.
TENCEL: Tencel is the trademarked name of a fabric known as Lyocell. While there are many forms of Lyocell, Tencel specifically is produced at the Lenzing mill in Austria, which carries the Oeko Tex 100 certification, indicating it contains no harmful substances. Tencel is made from eucalyptus trees grown on farms -- no old growth forests are harvested, and no pesticides are used. The solvents and chemicals used in processing are considered non-toxic and are 99.5% recycled.
- USED IN: the 1st collection denim Half Moon dress + Ceres Kimono
- CARE: Machine wash warm with like colors and tumble dry low. Remove from the dryer promptly to avoid wrinkles.
RAYON: Our rayon is produced from reconstituted Tencel and Modal Fibers, and when blended with linen makes for an exquisitely soft + strong mid-weight fabric. Dyed with low impact dyes. Our rayon/linen blend used for some of our Juno pants is made in Japan.
- USED IN: the Juno pants
- CARE: We recommend hand-washing cold and hanging to dry. Use a warm iron if needed. May be dry-cleaned.
MODAL: Modal is produced from reconstituted pulp from sustainably-harvested beech trees, making it a great eco-friendly fabric option. It is 50% more water absorbent than cotton, resistant to shrinking and pilling, wonderfully soft, and easy to care for.
- USED IN: the Stella top
- CARE: Our knit modal is safe to be washed hot and dried in the drier normally.
ORGANIC LINEN/COTTON: Our organic linen / organic cotton blend used in our Lotus dresses + Calliope tops, is not only eco-friendly, but thick, sturdy, and high-quality. Linen is one of the strongest fibers out there and has been used to make fabric for thousands of years. When blended with cotton, it's wonderfully soft -- and a little wrinkly, but not as much as 100% linen. It's organic status means that neither the flax nor cotton fields were sprayed with pesticide or herbicide.
- USED IN: the Lotus dress + Calliope top
- CARE: May be machine-washed warm and tumble dried on low. Remove from the drier promptly to avoid wrinkles. We recommend putting the garments in a mesh laundry bag before washing, to avoid the thin straps catching on something and pulling.